"War Games / Sacrifice" (Tales from the Fringe #6)

Before I begin discussion of the final comic in this series of Fringecomics, I, as per usual, want to advise those who have not yet read this comic but would like to read it not to read any further until you have read it, because this does contain spoilers. I did like this comic a little bit better than the last one, but not by a whole lot. The first half of the comic, a story titled "War Games," shows us how Olivia became a Marine Special Investigator and ultimately nothing more, which I don't perceive as being too important. The second half of the comic, a story titled "Sacrifice," is a little story that potentially explains the significance of some of the glyphs, which sounds pretty cool, but it really isn't; once again, I don't perceive any tie-in to the mythology of Fringe. It just comes off as an X-Files-esque story that is ultimately more "paranormal" than it is "pseudoscience," but I digress - for now. In the meantime, I would like to give my Bunsen Burner rating, which is five butterflies. It is definitely higher than the Bunsen Burner rating that I gave to the last comic but not by a whole lot. These last two comics were definitely disappointments, especially the fifth.
 
Seeing as how this comic gives us back-story of Olivia, I was expecting a lot, and it fell short. Again, we learn how Olivia became a Marine Special Investigator. When I first opened the comic and saw the title and the image of Olivia taking cover with a pretty large weapon that I am unable to identify, I thought, "What? Since when was Olivia in combat? I thought that she was a prosecutor." However, it isn't long before we learn that she is actually undergoing some sort of virtual simulation as a way of being tested for the position for which she is applying, which I find to be somewhat of an inconsistency, because that means that the pilot episode was not the first time that Olivia came in contact with fringe science of sorts. Yet another apparent inconsistency is that this comic makes it clear that Olivia is a good shot, as I said in regards to the season 3 premiere (titled "Olivia"); in fact, for a little while, I thought that this comic was actually about Redverse Olivia, but that can't be because we see her talking to Rachel, who we know doesn't exist on the Other Side. Olivia failed the test because someone tampered with it beforehand, and that person did so because he felt that Olivia was too dangerous. At least he was on the money.
 
The second half of the comic (titled "Sacrifice") follows a couple who takes a tour on a tall temple, and their tour guide tells the couple a story about an ancient man, a very powerful man who had six fingers and was carried to the top of the temple by butterflies where he first sacrificed frogs and then humans. Obviously, three of our glyphs come into play there, and that would be really cool, except I once again don't know what ties can be made into the TV series. Even if that is the origin of the glyphs, how? What does it have to do with the mythology of Fringe? As it turns out, the tour guide turns out to be one of them and attacks the couple, but, yet again, what significance does this have? Were those people First People? If so, then what evidence of that do we have? The theory positing that the Observers are First People wouldn't hold any value, because they only have five fingers on each hand, and the theory positing that Sam Weiss is a First Person also wouldn't hold any value for the same reason. I really don't like the writers of most of these comics. I mean, like I said, how do you even attempt to explain this? This isn't a fringe science at all; it would have worked much better as an X-Filesepisode. I think that the three glyphs were brought into the story for no reason other than to attempt to give it some relevance. I do, however, very much appreciate the Slusho nod.
 
As I said, overall, I am not a big fan of these past two comics. I mean, seriously, give me some really good material that gives me some really good insight into the story of Fringe. I mean, even the "stand-alone" stories should have some kind of relevance, yet most of them don't. I definitely like the first series of comics much better than this series, which is a major disappointment, because I was expecting to like this series a lot better. Olivia does not look at all like Olivia, and I found that to be incredibly disappointing, especially in comparison to how Olivia looks in "The Visitor" (the final comic in the first series of comics), in which she looks just like herself. Many characters throughout this series do not look like themselves, and Nina was much too young in her comic. Also, Olivia in sweats and a t-shirt really isn't something that I can imagine, not in the colors that she was wearing, anyway. The artist ignored Olivia's tendency to wear black, grey, and pale blue due to her having been given Cortexiphan as a child. However, I don't think the writer forgot that she was given Cortexiphan as a child, because I think that that is why she was perceived as dangerous.

No comments:

Post a Comment